The Discovery Center at Water’s Edge regular hours are THU: 9am–2pm; FRI: 10am–6pm; SAT: 10am–6pm; SUN: Closed; MON: Closed, except holidays where schools are closed; TUE: Closed (field trips); WED: Closed. If you are attending a class, workshop, field trip, birthday party, or other reserved function, please arrive at the scheduled location a few minutes early from the scheduled time. The Discovery Center will be closed Dec. 15, 2023, for a scheduled field trip. Please refer to our Hours and Admission Price page for holiday hours, regular hours, 2024 hours, and admission price information. Do not hesitate to call (410) 417-7116, or email with any questions or concerns.
- This event has passed.
FIRST LEGO League
October 31 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm EDT
FIRST® LEGO® LEAGUE
- When: Tuesdays, 6–8 pm
- Where: DCWE, 4505 Pulaski Hwy., Belcamp, Md. (Link to Google Maps.)
- Ages: 4–16
- Cost: $
- Registration is full for this season, but please email for information on next season.
FIRST LEGO League introduces science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) to children ages 4-16 through fun, exciting hands-on learning. FIRST LEGO League participants gain real-world problem-solving experiences through a guided, global robotics program, helping today’s students and teachers build a better future together. In FIRST LEGO League, students engage in hands-on STEM experiences, building confidence, growing their knowledge and developing habits of learning. FIRST LEGO League’s three divisions inspire youth to experiment and grow their critical thinking, coding and design skills through hands-on STEM learning and robotics.
- FIRST LEGO League Discover – PreK- Grade 1: For children ages 4-6, this playful introductory STEM program ignites their natural curiosity and builds their habits of learning with hands-on activities in the classroom and at home using LEGO® Duplo bricks. The FIRST challenge this last season was to develop new ways to play on a playground.
- FIRST LEGO League Explore – Grades 2-4: In Explore, teams of students ages 6-10 focus on the fundamentals of engineering as they explore real-world problems, learn to design and code and create unique solutions made with LEGO bricks and powered by LEGO Education robot. The FIRST challenge this last season was to develop new ways to play organized sports.
- FIRST LEGO League Challenge – Grades 4-8: Friendly competition is at the heart of Challenge, as teams of students ages 9-14 engage in research, problem-solving, coding and engineering – building and programming a LEGO robot that navigates the missions of a robot game. As part of Challenge, teams also participate in a research project to identify and solve a relevant real-world problem. Students use Lego Mindstorm controllers and Lego bricks to build a robot and compete on a themed mat. This last season (2020-2021) the 16 challenges were sports related.